What is it?
This test checks for spelling errors across multiple languages. It finds spelling errors in both the visible text of your website, and in other areas that people may only see indirectly, such as page titles, drop-down menus and alternative text.
Why it matters
Poor spelling leaves a negative impression of your website, can make your content harder to understand.
How to use it
Insites lists any unrecognized words in a table. These words may be incorrectly spelled, or they may be too obscure for Insites to know, in which case you need to add them to your dictionary.
For each word, you can click on:
- Magnifying glass – this opens the Inspector, which shows you where the word appears on a page.
- Learn spelling – this will add the word to your dictionary for the current site. Other websites are unaffected.
- Number of pages – this will show you a list of all of the pages with this word.
- Google logo (‘G’) – this will Google for the word, which is useful for checking spellings you’re not sure about.
If you open the Inspector, you will see the unrecognized word highlighted on a specific page:
Here you have an additional option: you can click Ignore to ignore the word for this page only. This is handy if you have a word that is misspelled intentionally, and you still want it to count as an error if it appears elsewhere.
Handling multiple languages
If you are seeing lots of unrecognized words from other languages in your spelling test, you should add those languages to your settings for the website. Click on Change languages at the bottom of your report:
Insites spell checks using a combination of the languages you specify. So if you mark a website as in English and German, then spellings from both of those languages are considered acceptable.
Understanding invisible spelling errors
Insites may find spelling errors in parts of your page that are not visible. See invisible text.
Which languages are supported?
- Afrikaans – South Africa (af-ZA)
- Akan – Ghana (ak-GH)
- Bulgarian – Bulgaria (bg-BG)
- Catalan – Spain (ca-ES)
- Czech – Czech Republic (cs-CZ)
- Danish – Denmark (da-DK)
- Dutch – Netherlands (nl-NL)
- English – Australia (en-AU)
- English – New Zealand (en-NZ)
- English – South Africa (en-ZA)
- English – United Kingdom (en-GB)
- English – United States (en-US)
- French – France (fr-FR)
- German – Austria (de-AT)
- German – Germany (de-DE)
- Greek – Greece (el-GR)
- Hebrew – Israel (he-IL)
- Hindi – India (hi-IN)
- Irish – Ireland (ga-IE)
- Italian – Italy (it-IT)
- Polish – Poland (pl-PL)
- Portuguese – Brazil (pt-BR)
- Portuguese – Portugal (pt-PT)
- Romanian – Romania (ro-RO)
- Russian – Russia (ru-RU)
- Slovak – Slovakia (sk-SK)
- Slovenian – Slovenia (sl-SI)
- Spanish – Argentina (es-AR)
- Spanish – Bolivia (es-BO)
- Spanish – Chile (es-CL)
- Spanish – Colombia (es-CO)
- Spanish – Costa Rica (es-CR)
- Spanish – Cuba (es-CU)
- Spanish – Dominican Republic (es-DO)
- Spanish – Ecuador (es-EC)
- Spanish – El Salvador (es-SV)
- Spanish – Guatemala (es-GT)
- Spanish – Honduras (es-HN)
- Spanish – Nicaragua (es-NI)
- Spanish – Panama (es-PA)
- Spanish – Paraguay (es-PY)
- Spanish – Peru (es-PE)
- Spanish – Puerto Rico (es-PR)
- Spanish – Spain (es-ES)
- Spanish – Uruguay (es-UY)
- Spanish – Venezuela (es-VE)
- Swahili – Kenya (sw-KE)
- Swedish – Sweden (sv-SE)
- Welsh – United Kingdom (cy-GB)