The Inspector is part of Insites used to view issues on a page.
Inspecting a page
If the Inspector is available, you will see a magnifying glass icon next to an issue or page:
Clicking on the magnifying glass opens the Inspector.
Understanding the Inspector
The Inspector typically looks something like this:
- Issues are listed down the left hand side. Depending on your permissions, you can interact with issues here.
- Technical users may view the HTML source code by clicking HTML. Some issues are only visible in the HTML view.
- You can re-test a page by clicking on the Retest button in the top right. Retesting a page usually takes about 10 – 15 seconds, depending on the test and the speed of the website. Note that when you retest a page, Insites updates the desktop and mobile version, and runs all tests for those pages, not just the test you are looking at now.
- You may edit the page if you’re using a supported Content Management System (CMS) that has been configured, and you have permission to use it. Simply click on the Edit button to open the same page in your CMS.
- You can visit the page by clicking on the web address at the top of the page. Note that this could be different when you view it, compared to what Insites saw when it tested the page.
- You exit the Inspector by clicking on the X in the top right corner.
Working with issues
Issues are broken up into a maximum of four severities:
- Problems (red) – definite issues that need resolution
- Decisions (yellow) – questions that need a person to review them
- Suggestions (cyan) – minor recommendations which you may consider or ignore at your discretion
- Approved (cyan) – issues which have been approved as ‘ok,’ e.g., an unrecognized spelling that has been added to the dictionary
- Ignored (grey) – issues which have been ignored for a user-elected reason, e.g., impractical to fix, not really an issue, etc.
Clicking on one of the buttons – say Learn grammar – will move that issue to another severity. You can change severities by clicking on the current severity (Problems, in the above screenshot) and selecting another:
Swapping between tests
When viewing a page in the Inspector, you can swap to other tests by clicking the name of the current test in the top left corner:
Only other tests with issues will be shown.